Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Help Me Now!

So this user calls me today with a problem opening PDF files. It's not really a big deal, but I need to verify exactly what the problem is. It might just be something else completely. The conversation goes like this:

User> When I click the link it just wants me to download something or save it.
GTG> You are sure the link you are clicking on is a PDF?
User> Yes. It just wants me to save or download.
GTG> You are running Internet Explorer, right?
User> Yes.
GTG> Ok, try this. Go into Internet Explorer, then Tools, then Internet Options...
User> Hang on, I need to write this down.
GTG> Uh, write this down? Aren't you at your computer?
User> No. I'm in the car.
GTG> Why would you call me to troubleshoot this when you are in your car?
User> I figured you would know what was causing it and have a simple fix for it.
GTG> You called and told me you were having trouble opening links on the company website. The list of causes for such a vague description are almost endless.
User> I guess then...
GTG> Even if I came up with a solution, you were going to write down everything I said and try it at a later time.
User> Well, yeah.
GTG> Do me a favor. Call me back when you get to your computer and we'll fix it together.
User> Oh, ok.

About twenty minutes later he calls back and it takes a whopping thirty seconds to figure out he doesn't have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. It only takes about 10 minutes for me to help him download it and get it installed.
Just think, he was going to write all this down while driving and try it once he got to the computer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those moments that makes you wonder why 90% of the people you see aren't wearing helmets and knee pads where ever they go.

Leopard D said...

People would look weird wearing giant helmets over 90% of themselves.

Here's your sign...