Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Dragon

Ok, I said I would tell you about it later, so here I am.

I got an email Thursday morning from a user that went like this:

Would you scan my PC for viruses? Jane changed my mouse key because I liked the dragon.
Now I wouldn't expect you to understand this cryptic message, but you are probably reading the message exactly the same way I did. Several questions immediately popped into my head and I bet you are asking the very same questions.
Who is Jane? How did she change the user's mouse key? What dragon? How does a virus scan figure into this? Why does the user like the dragon? Just what exactly is a mouse key?

After a phone call it turns out that the user noticed a little dinosaur animated mouse pointer on Jane's computer. He expressed an interest in it and Jane installed it on his PC. Well the user's machine started slowing down so he was afraid he had caught a virus. It's scary how such a simple email can raise so many questions. Five mouse clicks later I restored his mouse key back the way it was.
Too bad. I kind of liked the dragon too.

No comments:

Here's your sign...