Monday, November 3, 2008

So I Changed My Password

Back in May I griped about this. This morning I get a call from a brand new user that goes something like this:

GTG> Ok, so I have you setup on the new VPN. Your username is "JSmith" and your password is "password". The system will force you to change it.
User> So I put JSmith in the username field?
GTG> Yes.
User> And my password is "password"?
GTG> Yes.
User> Ok, it's wanting me to change my password now.
GTG> Yes, go ahead and change it.
User> There, I've changed it. Do you need to know what I changed it to?
GTG> No. There's no need.
User> Ok, let me log off and then log back on to see if I have it right.
GTG> Ok, sure.
User> So I put in JSmith in the username field.
GTG> Good, good.
User> And I put in "password" in the password field.
GTG> No, you put in what you changed your password to be.
User> What did I change my password to?
GTG> Well, you just changed it. Did you write it down or anything?
User> I didn't have time. So what is my password?
GTG> Hang on while I reset it back to "password".

It's a good thing we've changed our systems to only rely on two passwords. Last year we had four passwords that people were forced to remember. This user's head would have exploded for sure.

1 comment:

Grumpy Smoker said...

I have started adding in my signature line of my email all of the password support email contacts. Unfortunately no one reads that dribble and ask me to do it for them. Once I got a request to help reset a persons PIN number for an bank ATM Card ... WTF?

Here's your sign...